TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE PROVISION OF EXTERNAL AUDIT SERVICES
AIDS Information Centre-Uganda (AIC) is a Non-Governmental Organization founded in 1990 to provide Voluntary HIV Counselling and Testing services to the population of Uganda but has since evolved in response to the growing need and demand for integrated HIV prevention, care and treatment services. AIC plays a key role in health and community systems strengthening at the national, regional and community levels supporting more than 63 districts through 8 regional centres in Kampala, Jinja, Mbale, Mbarara, Arua, Lira, Soroti and Kabale. These provide integrated HIV/AIDS services including social support and protection, Tuberculosis (TB), Gender Based Violence (GBV) and Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) services including family planning, Safe Male circumcision and Cervical Cancer Screening
AIC hereby seeks to to engage a reputable audit firm to carry-out the statutory audit of AIC for the financial year 2019/2020, 2020/2021 and 2021/2022. The contract will be renewable for a three year period
Objectives and Scope of the Audit
The objective of the audit is for the auditors to conduct audit reviews as follows:
- The auditors shall express an independent professional opinion as to whether the financial statements present fairly, in all material respects, the financial position of AIC Uganda in accordance with the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- The audit shall be carried out in accordance with the International Standards on Auditing (ISAs) as issued by the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC).
- Letter of Recommendations. The Auditors should submit a letter of recommendations after the completion of the audit in which auditors will:
- Identify specific deficiencies or areas of weakness in systems and controls, and make recommendations for their improvement;
- Examine on test basis that appropriateness of supporting documents, records and books of accounts relating to all project activities;
- Include management responses to audit findings and recommendations;
- Any matters that come to the auditor’s attention during the audit that might have a significant impact to the implementation of the programme.
- Examine, assess and report on compliance with the terms and conditions of the agreement between funding partners and AIC Uganda and applicable laws and regulations.
- The auditor shall report the identified amount in case there are any missing supporting documents
- Any matters that come to the auditor’s attention during the audit that might have a significant impact to the implementation of the programme
Responsibility for preparation of Financial Statements
The responsibility for preparation of the annual financial statements lies with the AIC Uganda directors and management.
- Directors will prepare the annual financial statements on an accrual basis and in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs).
- Management is responsible for implementation of accounting, administrative and financial procedures documented in the AIC Uganda manuals.
- AIC Uganda financial year end runs from 1 July to 30 June.
- Rotation of auditors will be done at least after 3 years at the discretion of the AIC Uganda management and Board of Directors. NB AIC Uganda reserves the right to terminate the engagement should it deem it necessary even before the lapse of 3 years.
Selection Criteria and Scope of Audit
AIC Uganda will select a suitable firm after the stated deadline in accordance to her procurement policy. The selection criteria will include the following:
- The participating firm should be registered and certified to conduct and practice such works by the relevant regulatory body in Uganda.
- Experience of the audit firm in relation to the scope of audits for non-profit organization; a minimum of five (5) years audit experience for not for profit
- Reference letters from at least 5 clients where similar works were successfully completed.
- Staff assignments and availability to complete the audit on a timely basis. The firm should in addition provide CVs of key personnel who will be involved in the consultancy.
- Proposed fee for the engagement including a schedule for additional services that may be necessary beyond the scope of the audit engagement.
- Detailed audit plan/methodology including the approach to risk and fraud detection.
- Estimated number of hours to complete the audit and personnel attached to assignment by seniority, partners, seniors, juniors, etc.
Expressions of interest should be made by 5: pm 15th October, 2022.
The proposals should be addressed to
Sheila Birungi Gandi
AIDS Information Center